Saturday, November 08, 2008

Editorial note

There seems to be some concern that on my last post, I made up those billboards featuring President Bush. While I am talented at Photoshop, and my leftist tendencies would certainly make me appear guilty, I'm not clever enough to have come up with them. I promise they were real.

Here are some articles/web pages about the billboards:
Media Matters - Bush Hell Pizza Billboard (9 Aug 2005)

American Psycho billboard - Inspiration Room
American Psycho print ad - Inspiration Room
Both done by Saatchi & Saatchi New Zealand

It would be going too far to say they were truly controversial here in NZ, but they did cause a stir. Generally I think people regarded them as a joke and did not read too much into it. Bush is easy subject matter for them to skewer - everyone here loves to hate him.

Unfortunately, the taint of his actions in office is all over every American living abroad (including us). If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked about "How could you people let him become the President?" and "What was America thinking?"... by people who really don't understand the U.S. electoral system, or how big and diverse the country is. They assume all Americans are the same - conservative, religious and supporters of Bush. Believe me, it's trying after a while.

2 comments:

Nik said...

Boy, I agree 100%. I have not had ONE person say anything good about Bush in the two years we've been here, and occasionally I've tried to explain to Americans on message boards and the like just how much he's hurt our image abroad, because sadly I think a majority of folks in the US don't quite get it or worse, just don't care.

Mel Phistopheles said...

I blogged about this billboard a whiles back:

http://blacknewblack.blogspot.com/2007/03/there-is-no-possible-way-i-can-improve.html

Our national nightmare is almost over. Almost over. Almost over.