Sunday, November 02, 2008

Casting two ballots

It's a weird thing, but this year we get to vote in two national elections! What a privilege. Seriously. Just look at the horrors people are put through in places like Africa and China and it makes you appreciate the freedoms we have.

I was thinking that some of you might be interested in the differences between the New Zealand government and the U.S. government. Then, I started trying to write a bit about it and promptly decided that you probably did not care. And, I did not feel like writing about it.

So, instead we'll just give you some nice photos of candidates from both countries. As a public servant working for the NZ government, I am bound by certain rules when it comes to online political rants. So, below are the two candidates for NZ Prime Minister, shown in in alphabetical order by last name - so as not to imply any preference:

The Right Honourable Helen Clark, MP, Prime Minister of New Zealand and leader of the Labour Party.

John Phillip Key, 12th Leader of the National Party (the Opposition) and member of Parliament

If you would like to read more about the NZ election, check out the article in this month's South Pacific issue of TIME.

Before moving on to the U.S. candidates, perhaps it's worth stopping for a moment to reflect on just what New Zealanders think of our last Commander in Chief, as evidenced by some of their advertising billboards in recent years...



Yes, that Bush - he's a popular guy! New Zealanders just love him. Imagine what the billboards in Venezuela must be like. I bet Chavez has painted him red and put demon horns on him. Nothing like one devil poking fun at another one, eh?

Unlike with New Zealand, no rules prevent me from speaking my mind about the U.S. election.

I won't bore you with a rant, though. I'll just beg you: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't put another Republican in office!!!

The United States is probably on its swan song at this point anyway. I give it another 50 years, maybe not even that long if oil runs dry before then, before the U.S. fades into obscurity, and that's under the best of circumstances. Put John McCain and the idiot Palin into office, and I don't give it another 10 years before it collapses under the weight of trillions in new war debt (they don't call him the "Old War Horse" for nothing, you know), a devastated economy, a world that hates and covets what you have, and enemies who no longer fear you.

Instead of two photos, here's one - and a name - of the person to vote for. Please do me proud.

Senator Barack Obama, Junior Senator from my home State of Illinois
and (hopefully) the next President of the United States of America



1 comment:

Ian said...

I am writing this at 4pm on Thursday in the US-ever since Obama got elected, worldwide stock markets have "tanked" over 800 points. So much for his respect in the world!!
I hope that National return to power in NZ.