Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Licensed to Drive



My license looks better than this guy's, but I can't post it online


Well, it's official! Stacey and I are both officially licensed to drive a vehicle in New Zealand. For Americanos, getting a driver's license is not too hard. You are required to take a theory (written) test but not an actual practical (on the road) test. The tests are pretty funny. They're scratch-off tests, like a lottery ticket. You get 3 sheets for a total of 35 questions. Since I was also getting my motorcycle license, I basically had to take two tests, with the 2nd one geared towards cycling questions. (Although I don't have a motorcycle, I do have a class M rating on my old license and I wanted to keep that in NZ. A motor scooter may be in my future.)



In New Zealand, adults are responsible for buckling up the kids. Other adults are responsible for buckling up themselves.
How
novel.




This one almost stumped me...stupid-arse question

The written tests were not a problem for either of us, and Stacey did really well. I missed 3 total questions, and one of them was just a stupid mistake where I scratched the wrong one. Stacey got 35 out of 35, which she likes to remind me of often. I then take the opportunity to remind her that getting a perfect score did not prevent her from hitting that pole outside of our parking garage. Perhaps the practical test should be given to Americans after all...




Think your ready to hit the road in New Zealand? Take the test!
(Beware, it costs money to go past the demo...)

Now, the tests are frankly expensive. And so is the study prep. You need to buy a two-book set called the NZ Road Code. I think it was about $30. The questions on the actual test are randomly chosen from the 150+/- questions in the back of the Road Code. The car test is $90, and the motorcycle test adds another $40.

I would be remiss not to mention the vision exam. You must also pass an eye test. The machine looks like something from a 1950's doctor's office, and works about as effectively. The things are notoriously bad, and we were warned about them by several people. The problem is that some people (like me) cannot see anything in them.



Here's one of the dodgy machines.
I swear, this one looks newer than the one they used on me...

When you fail the test, everyone looks around knowingly and there are audible sighs. They explain that the machines are annoying, but they cannot do anything about it. So, I had to go to an optometrist (conveniently located right across the road...coincidence? I think not!) and do a formal eye exam, for another $30, where it was revealed I had excellent (but not perfectly binocular, which is key) vision. The good news was that Stacey did fine on the test, passed without a problem. There is some irony in this since she had lasik surgery last year and I have never even worn glasses. But we'll take it, and save the thirty bucks.

Licenses in hand, our left-side driving firmly entrenched, I think it's time for a serious road trip. Not sure where, but I'm getting itchy feet. Hoping to have something in the works soon.

Hope everyone back 'home' is doing well.

-William

No comments: