Tuesday, January 30, 2007

CAMPING Ahead!

This weekend, Stacey has agreed to go camping with me. This is something of an experiment, mind you, since all evidence suggests that she would not like camping. It is dirty. There are bugs. You sleep in a tent, on the ground. Don't even mention the food preparation. Yet, she has bravely agreed to go! So, I'm packing the camping supplies tonight and getting them ready. It's only a two-night trip, but I want her to be as comfortable as possible, so am trying to check the list three times.


Another couple with be joining us, Anita and Marco, who are from the Netherlands. We first made their acquaintance WAY back in our first few days in Wellington, at a local migrant meetup. I get the feeling they are more prepared to go back to the basics than we are. Even I am pretty rusty, have not been tramping-camping in ages. I had hoped to go earlier once I got here, but life and business has kept me distracted.

Here's the place we are going--The Flying Fox! It's on the Whanganui River, and once you get there you take a cable car ride across the river to the campgrounds! We may do some river boating and swimming (cold?) and definitely some tramping. I'm taking a book and intend t relax. Hmmm...the concept of sitting idle for extended periods is perhaps more vexing to my Stacey than the bugs...I think I'll suggest she pack some reading material as well. Now, once you visit that website, you will see that they offer cabins and cottages. Let me assure you that we are not going to be staying in those, at least that's not the plan. No, I'm packing the tent. Now, if they have vacancies, and things go really bad, then don't be surprised if we end up in luxury accomodations. Especially if it starts raining (please don't let it rain!).

I will file a report next week on how things go--until then, cross your fingers!

-William

2 comments:

KEP said...

Well, it won't rain on you, because I'm not there!!! Hope you do have good weather cause I don't see Stacey staying out in the rain at all. And if it is the least bit cold... she will definitely be in a foul mood. Good luck and enjoy!!!

WS said...

Actually, I was thinking that the curse was on me, since it always seems to rain when I go out (even without you, Ken!) We shall see!

All of our stuff is piled up on the living room floor...it looks like a lot! I hope it's not too much to get across the flying fox with!

Hehe.